s201839640

WAPT or PTP ? after PTS

s201839640

Hey guys, so I have not really finish the PTS course yet but almost, so since there's a discount in the site I'm considering getting a new course either PTP or WAPT, but to be honest I'm really just a beginner,but I'm doing well on the PTS course although I suffered in the Networking stuff, but I found the web stuff is more satisfying and easier for me, PS ( I have a little background in the web development) so should I just go for the WAPT instead of PTP? I mean I know PTP has more reputation but when I saw the syllabus like system and networking security I thought those are too advanced for me for now at least, so the main question If I go to WAPT after PTS is it ok? like does WAPT require much knowledge before taking it ? and Thanks! <3

• Like 1

StefanWAustin

I think it could be an excellent idea to request a demo for PTP and WAPT.

I am not working in the field, but I have the knowledge to pass the PTP. I did a lot of other activities next to the PTP and I found out that if you want to be a pen tester, I need more than PTP. The PTP course is a great beginner course, but if you do Hack-the-Box or something else it comes clear that you need more web application and Active Directory stuff.

I do not know what you want to do, but if you like web application a lot, you can focus on it first. WAPT -> WAPTX -> (OSWE). You can add some more advanced network things to balance out the missing things with TCMs udemy courses (free or $15). If you want to try web application testing for free, try OWASP juice shop. You will not get a certification, but a lot of knowledge during that course.

Everything with pentesting is super challenging, PTP is maybe enough to get a junior position, but you are still a baby knowledge wise (PTS is scratching the surface a bit). WAPT is a specialization, but you need to add much more.

My path for the next 9 months will be: PTP -> WAPT -> WAPTX, during this journey I will add some other network certs, build an own website (building an own brand) and at the end I try to get a job. In case corona takes longer or the job market gets harder, I add PTX, OSWP and OSCP.

• Like 3

rohan28
On 6/21/2020 at 9:43 PM, StefanWAustin said:

I think it could be an excellent idea to request a demo for PTP and WAPT.

I am not working in the field, but I have the knowledge to pass the PTP. I did a lot of other activities next to the PTP and I found out that if you want to be a pen tester, I need more than PTP. The PTP course is a great beginner course, but if you do Hack-the-Box or something else it comes clear that you need more web application and Active Directory stuff.

I do not know what you want to do, but if you like web application a lot, you can focus on it first. WAPT -> WAPTX -> (OSWE). You can add some more advanced network things to balance out the missing things with TCMs udemy courses (free or $15). If you want to try web application testing for free, try OWASP juice shop. You will not get a certification, but a lot of knowledge during that course.

Everything with pentesting is super challenging, PTP is maybe enough to get a junior position, but you are still a baby knowledge wise (PTS is scratching the surface a bit). WAPT is a specialization, but you need to add much more.

My path for the next 9 months will be: PTP -> WAPT -> WAPTX, during this journey I will add some other network certs, build an own website (building an own brand) and at the end I try to get a job. In case corona takes longer or the job market gets harder, I add PTX, OSWP and OSCP.

even i wish to decide whether i should go for wapt or ptp . for now i am in no hurry to get a job and I wish to be a bug bounty hunter to get those 1000$ bugs so would wapt be better since it focuses more on owasp top 10 vulns?

StefanWAustin
4 hours ago, rohan28 said:

bug bounty hunter

That is very hard. You compete against the best of the world, and people from India (they work for $1 an hour...  ). Usually, you start with e.g. $100 a month or get nothing for a couple of months. Bug bounty is very competitive and the salary with an entry level skill is low. My guess is: Money starts with WATPX, but you have to go higher for $1000 and more.

rohan28
3 minutes ago, StefanWAustin said:

people from India (they work for $1 an hour...  ). 

Didn't get what u meant by this comparison with Indians.....and I was referring to big bounty on hackerone and bugcrowd so obviously not looking for any fixed salary as I said am not looking for a job 

StefanWAustin
13 minutes ago, rohan28 said:

Didn't get what u meant by this comparison with Indians...

I want to point out that you are a world citizen. Some Indians are the best IT folks on the world, and on hackerone, bugcrowd you can find these very good people. Bug bounty does not have a fixed salary. Usually you need motivation to reach the "fun" point.  

rohan28
51 minutes ago, StefanWAustin said:

I want to point out that you are a world citizen. Some Indians are the best IT folks on the world, and on hackerone, bugcrowd you can find these very good people. Bug bounty does not have a fixed salary. Usually you need motivation to reach the "fun" point.  

yeah ik there is no fixed salary .. i am indian btw

StefanWAustin
6 minutes ago, rohan28 said:

i am indian btw

I was in India for a month. I was invited for a "small" wedding in Surat and it was awesome. 2000 people with traditional clothes in a football stadium... phantastic, I will never see anything like that.

rohan28

Ic I live in delhi the capital city. Ik few penetration testers from surat. Cause I started with courses  on udemy and the instructor was from Surat ...where r u from? And was the wedding invite from another security researcher? 

StefanWAustin

I visited New Delhi was interesting, so many people and the traffic was a unique experience :D. I am from Germany but I live in America. A close friends friend had this wedding, but I did not know this friend before. Both live now in Australia, I think and work as tax lawyers (and restaurant owner) or something similar. I was in Dubai before and Surat is not so far away, so I decided to learn more about India. I was integrated in this family as a family member, therefore it was a unique experience. Later I traveled more as a tourist to see some famous places and it was very different. India is a very diverse country. Did you visit some different areas in India?

If you want to towards bug bounty, there are a lot of free tools available. If you have time to study, it is not difficult to reach a very high level, because you do not need to have certs. It is your brain, and that is it. :D The bug bounty community is huge.