Stemack

PTP Query

Stemack

Hello all,

At the risk of the answer, "How long is a piece of string?" which I'm totally expecting.

I was wondering if people could share their experiences of total "study time", prior to attempting the eCPPT certification exam? I'd have approximately 1.5-2 months to complete the study section and the certification exam/write-up before not being able to dedicate time anymore. I guess my question is, do you reckon this is long enough? I obviously don't want to purchase everything and find out that it was a waste of money, due to my time constraints.

Cheers,

Mac

dcardin14

In my case, I have not ever worked in IT before, so you may be able to do it faster, but here's a comment I made on the forum about a week ago on the topic of time commitment for eCPPT.  Obviously, this was an answer to someone else's situation and may or may not apply to you, but you may find it useful.

On 6/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, dcardin14 said:

I have a couple of thoughts on this too:

First, it's fine to look at the solutions the first time through the labs.  It makes sense to TRY to do it without the solutions and try to work through it when you get stuck...but not for hours and hours.  If you are out of ideas and nothing changes after a 15-minute break, go ahead and look at the solution.  That is a legitimate way to learn. 

Second, consider that you might be doing just fine and are comparing your progress to something you read on the internet (as I did at first).  It is not possible to do the PTP in the amount of time that the internet tends to claim, in my opinion.  (Unless you already work in cybersecurity.)  A lot of the comments I've seen about the time commitment for PTP are either from highly-experienced commenters or are false.  For instance, I've seen people saying 3 weeks of study before the test.  Not likely, in my opinion.  I've been working at it as a full-time job with my buddy Stefan since February - 35 hours per week or more of concentrated study * 16 weeks = 585 hours of study so far (We've been through all the material ONCE.)  The plan now is to take the CyberMentor course Stefan mentioned in order to get another perspective (eta 2-3 weeks), then repeat all of the PTP labs (hopefully this time with less reliance on the solutions.)  By the time I'm ready to take the exam (circa August 1, 2020), I will have well over 750 hours of study invested in it, counting reading the slides, doing the labs, doing lab writeups, etc.  The study schedule that Stefan and I have followed since March 1 is shown in the attached screenshot.

In short, I think you should keep doing what you're doing.  Work on the course material and labs while also engaging in the forum.  (It's very helpful to answer questions when you can, too, because that helps you internalize what you've learned.)

You are on the right track.

Cheers!

Daniel

a.png

• Like 1

Stemack
2 minutes ago, dcardin14 said:

In my case, I have not ever worked in IT before, so you may be able to do it faster, but here's a comment I made on the forum about a week ago on the topic of time commitment for eCPPT.  Obviously, this was an answer to someone else's situation and may or may not apply to you, but you may find it useful.

Hey dcardin14,

Really appreciate your input, the table helps me gauge timings a lot better, I need to review the syllabus to see if there are elements that I maybe don't need to spend as much time on as I've been in the field for a few years now.

But thank you again.

dcardin14

My understanding is that sections 6 and 7 (Wifi Security and Ruby, respectively) are not covered in the exam, so that might help you streamline somewhat.  The "Network Security" portion is by far the biggest part.