Sign in to follow this  
kevineo2011

Suggestions

kevineo2011

Hi guys, 

I have just passed my EJPT  and  it is first ever IT certification. I finished well over 2 days to finish it becuase i was in no rush but it was not easy. My linux  and networking is not strong. I live in the UK and do not work in iT sector. I know here in the forum, there are plenty of guys who have been working in the IT for long time.. this question goes to  supporting team of Elearning security as well.I feel i can do PTP because i am willing to work hard. I bought the course in last year mid November 2019. what do you guys suggest? I have joined hack the box and try hack me aswell for daily practices. I just dont want to have certification but i want to have be good at it.  Can you please suggest me  certs other than PTP so that i  am recruitable in the future. I do not work in IT. I am thinking to do ECCPT, PND and THP in future but before that i still want to be good. Any suggest is welcome. Please suggest me  so that i am attractive to the UK market. Thank you guys in advance.

StefanWAustin
5 hours ago, kevineo2011 said:

. I just dont want to have certification but i want to have be good at it.

This is up to you. You can take the PTP in two ways:

- Focus on the certification. In this case, you do the great labs and you know 80% for the exam. You will google the missing 20% and will most like pass. You need about 100 to 200 hours to get the cert. 

- Focus on the great study material and get the most out it and the labs. The cert is not as important as the provided knowledge. You read every one of the 6500 pages very carefully and try every single suggested tool. Further more you find and try new things.

Know that the second way will cost you a lot of time. You will invest hundreds of hours, I guess that the PTP course will keep you busy for 3 - 4 months (>40h per week). If you have so much time, this is great.

Many years I worked as an admin for a big company. It is a help, but not so much as you may think. I invested about 350 to 400 hours in the PTP course and I will add at least another 250 to 300 hours.

5 hours ago, kevineo2011 said:

Can you please suggest me  certs other than PTP so that i  am recruitable in the future.

It is a bit up to you. What do you want to do? Many pen testers need OSCP. The OSCP exam is outdated, but OffensiveSecurity added a lot of content this year. OSCP is a well-respected cert and often a HR requirement for an entry level pen test job. E.g Rapid7 will hire people with eCPPTv2 but not many other companies know about this cert. The PTP course content is exceptional good, so it gains more and more popularity in the pentest industry, but OSCP is still the No. 1 for HR. One good thing: Many well respected pen tester think that the PTP will prepare you better for your first job than the OSCP.

I will take the OSCP after PTP and then will try to get a job or I add other useful certs. If i do not get a job, I will do the WAPT course, because of the 78 labs. I love labs. 

The brand new THP with the 27 labs is also a very good option.

May I ran out of money, than I will practice with the free options. The Cyber Mentor and others offers great free youtube courses and cheap udemy courses (e.g. Black Friday deals <8 Dollars). These YouTube courses are free and up to date. You already mentioned HTB and try hack me :)

• Thanks 1

kevineo2011
10 hours ago, StefanWAustin said:

This is up to you. You can take the PTP in two ways:

- Focus on the certification. In this case, you do the great labs and you know 80% for the exam. You will google the missing 20% and will most like pass. You need about 100 to 200 hours to get the cert. 

- Focus on the great study material and get the most out it and the labs. The cert is not as important as the provided knowledge. You read every one of the 6500 pages very carefully and try every single suggested tool. Further more you find and try new things.

Know that the second way will cost you a lot of time. You will invest hundreds of hours, I guess that the PTP course will keep you busy for 3 - 4 months (>40h per week). If you have so much time, this is great.

Many years I worked as an admin for a big company. It is a help, but not so much as you may think. I invested about 350 to 400 hours in the PTP course and I will add at least another 250 to 300 hours.

It is a bit up to you. What do you want to do? Many pen testers need OSCP. The OSCP exam is outdated, but OffensiveSecurity added a lot of content this year. OSCP is a well-respected cert and often a HR requirement for an entry level pen test job. E.g Rapid7 will hire people with eCPPTv2 but not many other companies know about this cert. The PTP course content is exceptional good, so it gains more and more popularity in the pentest industry, but OSCP is still the No. 1 for HR. One good thing: Many well respected pen tester think that the PTP will prepare you better for your first job than the OSCP.

I will take the OSCP after PTP and then will try to get a job or I add other useful certs. If i do not get a job, I will do the WAPT course, because of the 78 labs. I love labs. 

The brand new THP with the 27 labs is also a very good option.

May I ran out of money, than I will practice with the free options. The Cyber Mentor and others offers great free youtube courses and cheap udemy courses (e.g. Black Friday deals <8 Dollars). These YouTube courses are free and up to date. You already mentioned HTB and try hack me :)

Yes,goal is eccpt and then OSCP. I might wait for sale for ECCPT. Threat hunting course looks juicy as well. thank you very  much for your reply, i am just apprehensiev as i dont work in the IT field now. i have bought the course from cyber mentor, it helped me a lot top. thanks for your reply. More  suggestions are more than welcome.

StefanWAustin

I was thinking about you :)

The key is, what do you want to do? CyberSec is huge, build a solid basement and pick a topic and focus on that.

Check the job descriptions for your area, what is required to get a good job. Is it mostly defense (blue) or are there Pen test companies (red). A blue course is very different to a red course, you learn completely different tools.

• Thanks 1

dcardin14

My personal belief is that it makes sense to focus on PTP only for the time being.  That is what I'm doing.  I have been putting in 35+ hours per week for approximately two months on PTP and I feel that I am at least two more months from being exam-ready.  It is very tempting to look into other certs/materials/courses and thereby dilute my attention.  I do that, of course, but only for fun.  My main focus (my 'job', as it were, since I have no job due to the virus) has been on PTP and it will stay that way until I have  both the cert and a firm grasp on the material.  Only then will I venture into other courses, materials and certs.  Just my two cents.  Cheers!

kevineo2011
On 5/2/2020 at 5:11 PM, StefanWAustin said:

I was thinking about you :)

The key is, what do you want to do? CyberSec is huge, build a solid basement and pick a topic and focus on that.

Check the job descriptions for your area, what is required to get a good job. Is it mostly defense (blue) or are there Pen test companies (red). A blue course is very different to a red course, you learn completely different tools.

@StefanWAustin  thanks for thinking about me haha..its looks like and ECCPT and OSCP (for HR filter) for me. Money is the biggest motivator so i am just going to take ECCPT and OSCP route.  

kevineo2011
13 hours ago, dcardin14 said:

My personal belief is that it makes sense to focus on PTP only for the time being.  That is what I'm doing.  I have been putting in 35+ hours per week for approximately two months on PTP and I feel that I am at least two more months from being exam-ready.  It is very tempting to look into other certs/materials/courses and thereby dilute my attention.  I do that, of course, but only for fun.  My main focus (my 'job', as it were, since I have no job due to the virus) has been on PTP and it will stay that way until I have  both the cert and a firm grasp on the material.  Only then will I venture into other courses, materials and certs.  Just my two cents.  Cheers!

@dcardin14 next is ECCPT and OSCP.  i dont work in IT, i have done my EJPT and it was hard lol. But i should be ready for ECCPT.