Sign in to follow this  
Armando

[TRICK] DDoS Scenario - Is it possible?

Armando

Is this scenario possible? Yes? No? Why?

(Trivial trick, that I make to my onsite students to see if they pay attention to what I say :P Thought I would share it with you)

Attacker is happy because with just few bytes of requests he can drive an enormous amount of traffic to the victim filling his bandwidth. (Reflectors != Zombies, reflectors are legit webservers). How many beers has he drunk before conceiving the above scenario?

post-1-051199000 1289298801_thumb.png

robertray

I initial reaction would be I have to say no. Though I have a sneaky feeling someone might come up with something else. I have not researched anything here so dont shoot me down in flames :-)

My reasoning here is that HTTP get would require a TCP 3 way.

We can spoof the address of the victim to start a SYN, but we couldnt then negotiate the rest of the handshake (or at least I cant think off how we could) as the SYN ACK would be sent to the victim who is not expecting it then it would RST.

Though with enough floods of SYN/ACKs perhaps you could get the affect of a DDOS, just not the intended payload of pages being forced down on the victim.

Also the word trick in the question, has me thinking no. But that could be a red herring I suppose.

robertray

And with regards to how many beers, I would need to spend a week or google stalking the person behind the conecpt to get an idea of the sort of social activity that the person gets up to, if that returns no results I would try to do the same to relatives, friends work mates etc, perhaps one of them would give me a clue.

I might even phone anyone who is likely to know and pretend to be a relative, councellor or medical person asking in a caring way as I have been working with him/her about their drinking problems, just to get a picture if they are a get drunk to the silly stages sort of person, then I could stab a guess at the number!

Armando

You're correct and still as drunk as the Attacker :lol:

robertray

Ive not been drunk all week, more the pitty!

You should arrange a els conference, in the UK and dish out some free beers!!

robertray

Give more of these!