• Announcements

• Vincent

Posting copyrighted material   08/27/2016

Posting copyrighted material is a huge violation and WILL lead to you being banned from eLearnSecurity.
Sign in to follow this  
petar.pranic

Best programming resources

petar.pranic

Hi everyone,

i'm need to improve, at least, mine "code reading skills" on a lot of languages

There's literally A LOT of resources out there, so what's the best ones? Books? Online courses like codeschool or something?

Of course i don't need to be a professional programmer but it's mandatory to reach to goal to be able to read different languages in order to understand where vulnerabilities resides and which remediation give to custumers.

Thanks to all

petar.pranic

Hi Tuba,

i know codeacademy, i learned some html & css on it few years ago. Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of languages so i need to search for other resources...
Did you ever tried codeschool? It is good?

tuba

@petar.pranic

Nope I didn't use codeschool. I don't know what you mean by "a lot of" languages?

petar.pranic

I mean there's no php, c++, only 4 hours for java and so on... not enough resources

tuba

@petar.pranic

https://www.javatpoint.com/ 

If I may share my opinion, I don't learn every language. My method is to learn the principle instead of the syntax of "a lot of" languages.

petar.pranic

What you mean with learn the principle?

caneacsu

@petar.pranic

I believe what @Tuba is saying is that you should focus on learning and understanding programming principles, methods, terminology, etc. More specifically, learn about the fundamental types that are present in most languages (int, float, bool, etc), variables, control statements, collections, loops, exception handling, functions, recursion, etc. After this you can dive into object-oriented programming and learn about classes, objects, methods, inheritance, etc. Also, you may want to study a bit functional programming too. These may sound like a lot but in reality they are just some concepts.

Once you have the concepts understood, it will be very easy to learn a new programming language or read something new, even without previous experience with that particular programming language. Of course, you can learn all these concepts side-by-side with a programming language, something like python or C#, but don't get too hung up on the intricacies of the programming language, keep in mind you're only using that to learn the concepts. 

Also, there's no such thing as the best book or the best course. There's only the best for YOU, and no one knows that but you. Try out a few books, a few online courses, and see what learning method you prefer. From experience, I can say that learning habits change over time. What worked 5 years ago, may not work now, and what works now, may be completely different from how you study in 5 years.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tuba

@petar.pranic

I agree with @caneacsu, Thanks for the explanation :) 

petar.pranic

@caneacsu

Thank you very much! As always you give a lot of good information and advices! ;)

Regards

tweety

@petar.pranic 

I recommend:

Mapt from https://www.packtpub.com/

My first book there was: Cuckoo Malware Analysis for 29.99 Euro instead 47.98 Euro

With promotions, I got a lot of free books instead of buying them.

Now I'm using MAPT (monthly payment - sometimes promotions like 3 months for 10 Euro) and they give also free tokens.

They give also free tokens.

Regards