Welcome to eLearnSecurity Community

Once logged in as a eLearnSecurity student, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

If you are not an eLearnSecurity student yet, give a look at our awesome IT Security courses.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
0xDEADBEEF

Exam format for full-time employees

Hi everyone,

I am not enrolled in any eLearnSecurity courses yet but I've been thinking about it for the last couple of days.

My main concern lies with the exam format. The exam FAQs for the courses I'd be interested in (PND, WAPTx) state that the exam labs are available for a whole week. However, I am a full-time employee with lots of project work so no downtime at work.

Now I am wondering if it is possible to take the exam(s) as a full-time employee with a regular workload or if I would need to take a whole week off just for the exam. Did anybody else manage taking the exam while being full-time employed?

Thanks to anyone who could maybe shed some light!

It is a personal choice. Some take a week off, others use holiday weekends. And since you have 7 days of lab access, you also get 7 days to write the report...

The question is: Is it doable? How are the exams designed? Are they designed in such a way that you're supposed to spend most of these 7 days working on the exam, or are they designed in such a way that you need to spend a certain (smaller) amount of time within that timeframe, e.g. 48 hours within 7 days or 96 hours within 7 days, etc.?

It really depends on how well you know the material, how quickly you can think through problems and how well you understand the whole pentesting process.  They are designed to test your knowledge. The better you are at the labs (without following the manual) the faster you will be.

Alright, thanks!

Will see if/when I can take a week off, then. I prefer not having to retake anything.

Hi @0xDEADBEEF

I think it's totally doable. If you look through the forum or read online reviews, you'll find that most students feel positive about the 7 days window for the exam. Since you don't have downtime at work, is it possible for you to put in some hours of your own time (a.k.a after work or before work) ? One method that worked well for me in the past was to start the exam on a Thursday. This way you get to familiarize yourself with the exam environment on Thursday and Friday, maybe even make a considerable progress on Friday (assuming you have the weekends off). Saturday and Sunday are 2 full days that you can do the bulk of the work and you can tie up the details in the remaining 3 days (beginning of the week).  

Of course, as Vincent stated, it all depends how comfortable you are with the techniques and knowledge presented in the course/labs. If you really understand the material and the labs, you should be fine with the method I described. 

Best of luck !   

2 people like this

Thanks for the replies so far. Actually made me sign up for the course and initiate the payment.

... or at least I tried to. The signing up process requested that I upload a scan of my ID and credit card. What the hell?! In my country of origin, making scans of your national ID and sending them to third parties is actually forbidden by law.

Uploaded a heavily censored scan now. Hope that will suffice. But I don't find this amusing at all. The potential for fraud with that data is huge. I seriously, seriously hope that eLS actually deletes this data after verification.

Update: CC and ID scan were apparently sufficient. Now, let's see how that course is!