• Announcements

• Vincent

Posting copyrighted material   08/27/2016

Posting copyrighted material is a huge violation and WILL lead to you being banned from eLearnSecurity.

Petr

Hello,

probably the of you have hearth about CTF competitions - Capture the Flag. CTF competitions are usually set of online challenges related to Cyber Security, from Reverse Engineering over Traffic Analysis to Open Source Intelligence tasks. The range is usually wide, and therefore the competitions are usually handled by teams because no one can be an expert on everything. Basic information about CTF you can get at https://ctftime.org/ .

If anyone has tried this, as a novice, he could have noticed that it's quite difficult to find a proper, a bit serious co-players/mates. I have had the experience to be matched with a hax0r from Palestina, hacking Israeli websites 5 years ago before our first talk, then we told me he was 18 years old. So, I had a chance to talk with a pro 10-14 years old hacker. 

This forum is supposed to serve for people who are genuinely interested in Cyber Security, therefore I would like to ask whether there would be anyone who would be interested in trying/crying and sharing knowledge with his peers/mates. My idea is to build up a small let's say 'ELS' group who could all attend without any requirements on knowledge. We would be participating according to free time and interest, no time allocation requests etc. The most important thing comes after the CTF. Those who managed to solve the problem, would write a short, but very educative summary of the task and post it here. So less experienced would have a chance to repeat the task, and check the results. This would very improve the value of this forum and could teach a lot about all other topics of Cyber Security like Forensics, Incident Response but of course Penetration Testing as well. 

Let me know how do you feel about this idea. 

Cheers, Petr. 

ZZBrandon

Im interested. It would be nice to share knowledge and learn new attack vectors.

I have been wanting to get into CTF for awhile but have not really had the opportunity so this would be a good one for me.

Petr

Hi. 

Thanks for answer. Unfortunately as you see, we are only two actually interested in this topic even though the topic was noticed. As I am disappointed by the community I will try again later in Offensive Security forum. Also I'm very busy by taking exams therefore I really have no time to maintain 2 member team. Keep your spirit though and if you think you want to invest some extra time into it, feel free to drop me a message and we can try some. But the idea of sharing knowledge within this forum is naive. :!

ZZBrandon

2 is better then zero :) I will PM you.

basem.helmy

I am Interested too :) now we are three. :)

Petr

Well, :D at first, I would recommend to start with hackthebox.eu . They have pretty good challenges for any skillset. Also there is a group on FB, 'OSCP study group'. It's full of sociopaths doing CTF quite often and there is always someone who shares news from CTF so I do recommend you to join, also there is a Slack channel https://netsecfocus.slack.com/messages . Endless amount of stuff. 

• Like 1

Petr

Upcoming CTF this weekend. https://ctf.hackthebox.eu/

I am off this time, but if you want to join on your own or join the team, feel free.

I have created my team, so far only myself, called 'VeproKnedloZelo'.

• Like 1

ZZBrandon

This weekend is bad timing for me. Will see about joining potentially in the near future though to get the ball rolling on this.