charles.f.huffman

Threat Hunting Certification?

charles.f.huffman

Hello everyone. Just wanted to say that I have REALLY enjoyed my experience in the PTS course (preparing to take the exam right now), and if I can ever get money, I hope to take many more courses from elearnsecurity in the future.

With that having been said, have you guys ever thought about a Threat Hunting certification, or something like it? I haven't been able to find anything of that nature (which is disappointing, as that is where I want to eventually end up), so... maybe something worth putting together? If so, I would love to be one of the first to go through it!

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Petr

Hi,

interesting question. I cannot even come with what exactly would be the content. Very interesting though. Honestly, I have met so far only one guy who had Threat Hunting in his job title - no certification though, only OSCP. I think it would consider some Honeypotting and some log analysis, at least from my very fundamental point of view. I guess one way how to start is to deploy your own honeypot, and see what's gonna happen. Actually, it's very interesting idea and I could try to deploy something. 

https://github.com/paralax/awesome-honeypots#honeypots

kevinmwafula

This is my end goal too, just signed up for the webinar. I've been reading on the trend on in the past year trying to figure out where to exactly position myself as an SME in the next few year. I've kept coming back to Threat Hunting mainly because the  academic/ always learning and hand-on research/hunting nature of the role, and the wide range of skills one need to acquired grow. Cutting edge SOC are beginning to curve Threat Hunting role as separate from day to day incident monitoring and response SOC roles, especially as developing cyber security intelligence capabilities continues to become a must have for companies. I am pivoting from Security Engineer role towards Threat Hunting. Cant wait, but gotta finish my PTS by Feb, 18 first. 

• Like 1

charles.f.huffman
On 12/5/2017 at 10:46 PM, kevinmwafula said:

This is my end goal too, just signed up for the webinar. I've been reading on the trend on in the past year trying to figure out where to exactly position myself as an SME in the next few year. I've kept coming back to Threat Hunting mainly because the  academic/ always learning and hand-on research/hunting nature of the role, and the wide range of skills one need to acquired grow. Cutting edge SOC are beginning to curve Threat Hunting role as separate from day to day incident monitoring and response SOC roles, especially as developing cyber security intelligence capabilities continues to become a must have for companies. I am pivoting from Security Engineer role towards Threat Hunting. Cant wait, but gotta finish my PTS by Feb, 18 first. 

Yeah, I hear you. I'm just getting started career-wise, so I'm trying to be proactive and acquire a really broad range of knowledge and skills to show that I mean business. I'm REALLY lucky that I just started working at a company that is on the edge of developing a very high end threat hunting/intelligence program, so I'm excited that this is about to be available. I finished PTP a few months back and loved it, so good luck! I really enjoyed it. About to start on PTP in the next few days, so I'm pretty stoked for that as well. I'd like to have that finished before I do this new cert, but I may end up doing both at the same time because I'm a glutton for punishment. :D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.