Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitaly

What is the difference between PTS and OSCP?

goatama

As I understand it, from reading on other sites, the PTP course here is similar to the PWK class offered by Offensive Sec which prepares you for the OSCP. It kind of fills in some of the gaps of the OSCP. I'm not sure if you can substitute the knowledge 1 for 1.

• Like 1

neildatasmith

I really looked at taking the OSCP vs PPT before deciding to subscribe to PTS to get the certification.  As a disclaimer I have a background in IT and have a working knowledge of Information Security but no certifications. The Motto of OSCP is  "try harder" meaning if you do not know the answer you should go and find it yourself.

The PTS course is a beginner introduction to penetration testing. After completing this I will probably take the PPT course which is more in depth before the OSCP due to the leap in difficulty and the short timescale for the OSCP exam and report.

I have read many text books such as mastering metasploit, the hacker playbook 2 etc but these only go so far. There is no substitute for practical experience and compromising vulnerable machines such as metasploitable.

PWK + OSCP is not a fundamental course it has a reputation of being a very difficult certification for a reason and something to aspire to.

• Like 2

Guest Proof

From what I can see, and as I've heard from others... this course is a little more beginner friendly in that it describes the tools and then labs are focused on those tools directly. OSCP (I'm enrolled) gives you a general overview and then opens the entire lab and says "figure it out".    It's a bit overwhelming.  

• Like 1

Guest Guest FB

Neildatasmith, you're right. But with some preparation you can start PPT or OSCP right away and safe some money if that is your end goal. I am OSCP certified without following basic courses like PTS, you just have to try harder :)

• Like 2

Guest The Guest

If you understood everything the Webinar was talking about, but are still rusty then take the PTP course.

If you can go though a VulnHub VM like Kioptrix, Pegasus, Lord of the Root - without needing a walkthrough then you are ready for OCSP.

PTP is more of a Basic Course that covers the ropes, and isn't as much advanced as the OSCP which includes exploit writing, buffer overflows, etc.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this