Sign in to follow this  
arrrkyte

EJPT passed (barely) - How do I get ready for next steps?

arrrkyte

I finished my EJPT this past weekend with a 15/20. I don't think it's allowed to get into specifics, but there were a couple questions I really struggled with. I referenced the PTS materials and videos during my exam and still couldn't get the answers. I am happy I passed, but I was really hoping to have a higher score, as I know with pursuing additional certs and general self study / info sec knowledge, things are only going to get harder from here.

Has anyone else had similar struggles? How did you get over them?

Paolo

Hi arrrkyte,

i also me in that situation that you described, I think that the best thing is not be demotivated, but always learn also small thing that added together can do better things. Do answer, learn, practice with lab or made with Vmare or Virtual Box, create you your lab environment where you can test many things, and read some books linked in the specific section on this forum, there are many and interesting books to read, very exciting!

So, you need to take more practice and you have here a community that can respond at your answer. When you finish a course, or an exam here, it's not over. All instructors and users here responds always if it's possible, also if you have finished the PTS course, and you have doubts, you can write your answers and receive response until you have understand. This is a good thing, because, not always there are places as this where you can answer and get response quickly and always. 

I hope that you don't lost patience and hope and also me to learn and practice!

Bye!

element
7 hours ago, arrrkyte said:

I finished my EJPT this past weekend with a 15/20. I don't think it's allowed to get into specifics, but there were a couple questions I really struggled with. I referenced the PTS materials and videos during my exam and still couldn't get the answers. I am happy I passed, but I was really hoping to have a higher score, as I know with pursuing additional certs and general self study / info sec knowledge, things are only going to get harder from here.

Has anyone else had similar struggles? How did you get over them?

you have to build your solid background.. it takes time and it's challenging.. and remember: “Technologists want to see how something runs. Security people want to see how something breaks.”

arrrkyte

Thanks guys!

I am definitely still motivated to keep learning and practicing. I have been collecting bookmarks to blogs, articles and forums like crazy, and am making time to read through as much as possible. I also have several books piled up to go through as well.

I am in the process of getting a lab up and running at home. My initial thought is to look at setting up some of the scenarios described here.

I plan to specifically review a couple of the things that I know I struggled with, and just keep plugging away. The thing that both appeals to me and intimidates me the most about trying to get into this field is the fact that there is so much to know and learn, and things are changing constantly.

Anyway, I appreciate the response and will continue to push forward. I think I will spend a bit more time reviewing fundamentals and some of the material from PTS before moving on to any additional certs.

paul_dejyothin

Congratulations. I'm currently going through the eJPT (and will do the eCCPT after - already purchased).

I've been practising by setting up my own lab using VirtualBox, Kali Linix (2016.x), and installing vulnerable systems from Vulnhub - There are many on the site to download and pentest away. I would also recommend downloading and grabbing 'metasploitable2' as another Vulnerable system to pentest. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the various ways to pentest metasploitable2 as well as the systems downloadable from Vulnhub. All of my systems are held within the VM environment.

By doing the above I'm now more comfortable with the methodology in pentesting, and using certain tools that I've lacked the hands-on experience. This has helped me both understand the videos from eJPT, and use the tools within the eJPT from a hands-on perspective - Also reduces the amount of 'time' used in the labs that might have been wasted before :)

• Like 1

paul_dejyothin

I've sat the eJPT certification today, and although I've yet to submit my exam (partly because there is 1 question that I can't answer due to not being able to obtain the result required, to what I think is a bug in the method I'm doing - I've emailed/PM eLearnSecurity and am awaiting a reply).

I feel like I've passed, and probably with a decent result. Time will tell once I get to submit the examination.

Now I don't think I will have done half as well had I not have had my notes/flash cards (so to speak) to reference too (I'm referring to commands/and my how-to's in achieving what ).
My memory is poor at the best of times so I'm glad I was able to refer back to my notes which helped me immensely during the exam lab.

So to keep on topic to the original thread, I would also ensure you use any notes you have saved to refer to :)

Note: This may seem a little loosely written for those who haven't take the exam, and that is so I don't break any Terms & Conditions

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this