Sign in to follow this  
herman

Windows Named Pipe Auditing - Question

herman

I finally had the chance to come back into infosec again and spent some time preparing for vulnerability research/bug hunting. Having done some Linux /embedded and web-application stuff I am now compiling information on auditing Windows Applications.

As information comes from many sources some is either wrong or incomplete. Today I have a question about auditing Named Pipes on Windows.

- AUDITING NAMED PIPES- 
Named pipe consist of a client and server part. They can be accessed locally or from remote machines, depending on configuration. They can be protected by ACLs. As it is basically file I/O we can't intercept the communications with Wireshark.

* Auditing: *
Step 1. Discovering pipes:
Fancy GUI: ProcessExplorer 
Command-line Cowboy: use Pipelist.exe.

Step 2. Permissions:
View ACL:
Fancy GUI: ProcessExplorer 
Command-line Cowboy: Pipesec100.exe

Edit ACL:
Command-line Cowboy: Pipesec100.exe

Step 3. Pipe Accessibility:
Determine if Pipe is Remote Accessible: look in IDA for PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS flag

Step 4. Creating a Client or Server 
This can be used to interact or impersonate a server. Sample Code can be found for: C#, VB, C++, Ruby, Python 

* Exploitation: *
1. If weak/no DACL: Modify the DACL and see if it affects the process e.g. remove all rights -> Denial-of-Service.

2. If weak/no DACL is present see if we can connect to the pipe from local machine. If the server supports a max instance of 1 client -> Denial of Service

3. If weak/no DACL is present see if we can connect to the pipe from remote machine. As 2 or depending on the next steps, RCE.

4. Test if we can start before the real pipe and impersonate the server. Denial-of-Service, Token Stealing, Information Disclosure. Some mitigation exist.

5. Read from pipe -> Information Disclosure

7. Write to pipe -> Denial-of-Service/EoP/RCE (e.g. malformed data, argument or command injection)

Question: how can we see/capture pipe "traffic"?

Is there an easier/faster way than any the following options?
1. Intercept with API Hooking / MS Detours. Hook: ReadFile and WriteFile    
2. Reverse Engineer, e.g. with IDA Pro
3. Maybe the Fibratus framework but I haven't installed it yet.
4. Static Analysis: audit the source code, useless for blackbox 
5. Custom coded, however my client can connect but seems not to receive anything (byte nor string)