Sign in to follow this  
parth.jariwala

Opinion about the Network Defense Professional course.

parth.jariwala

Hey everyone, I have cleared the Penetration testing course from Elearnsecurity recently. I am more interested towards networking. I have cleared CCNA and CCNA security as well. I have my eyes on the Network defense Professional Certification course at the moment. So, Have any one enrolled in the course? I would like to have an opinion about the course and pre-requisites as well?

ZAELS

Congratulations on clearing the course !

Looking at the syllabus of the PND course at https://www.elearnsecurity.com/course/practical_network_defense , the course looks thorough. I haven't enrolled for it personally and hence cannot give a first hand review

Pre-requisites are mentioned at the course link above and have been included below

1. Basic understanding of networking: TCP/IP, Routing
2. Basic understanding of IT Security matters
3. Intermediate understanding of the Windows operating systema

herman

I've done it including the exam however no pass/fail result yet :P

I hold both Cisco certs as well and this course will benefit you if you plan to be a in a role where you design or actively manage and protect infrastructure. The course is heavy on Windows though so if your environment is Linux based you can of course apply the same principles however the actual implementation is something you need to figure out yourself. As I worked for nearly a decade in a MS environment on the defensive side I knew most of the content but it is always nice to have a cert to proof it.

Overall the course is well designed however I would have liked to see more depth in managing devices such as mobile phones. It touches briefly on printers and the same techniques could be applied to "the internet of things". In my opinion these are big weak points in most companies defenses. When is the last time you did a firmware update for your router/tv/camera? ;) I would also have liked a section on IDS/IPS and logging as this is an area companies often struggle with. Maybe they will launch a DFIR course some day haha,

• Like 1

parth.jariwala

Thanks a lot for your valuable Feedback. It means a lot

• Like 1

defalcator

Hi there,

I have just about to embarked on this course. I came from a red teaming/penetration testing background. What attracts me about this course is: "Additionally, penetration testers will also learn more about how different networks are defended and gain a better understanding of how to penetrate them."

To be honest after these years, I don't have much working knowledge about Perimeter applicance such as Web Filter, IPS/IDS such as LanDesk/McAfee, Firewall applicances such Barracuda, Cisco, Palo Alto, Advanced Malware Protection such as Fireeye. Understanding of Network Topology such as DMZ, Zones etc, System Security.

However, i have knowledge on VAPT, types of misconfigurations, attacks pivoting etc.

I hope this course can leads me to be better advisory to my customer or maybe lead me to a network defense jobs.