Sign in to follow this  
Armando

Books list collection for completely newbies

Armando

Hello everyone.

Some of you is very experienced and some of you is just starting out.

Both of you have to deal with self-studying at some point.

So I was wondering what books really helped you understand tough stuffs of :

• Networking (mainly protocols, routing and architecture)
  • Programming (mainly PHP, C or ASM)

We instructors have our own favourite books that we have seen work well on our students over the years.

However we want to make sure that we did not miss anything so I'm calling on your input.

We will use this in our Student course, that guys...is coming up great...

Equix3n

Programming

The C programming Language

It's THE C book. The explanations and examples in this book are just amazing. Consider that one of the exercises in the first chapter is to build a limited C lexical analyzer. However, you'll need prior working knowledge of C to get the most out of this book.

The C Answer Book

You WILL need this book to follow the exercises from the above book.

Stanford CS107

Not a book but this is an excellent course by Stanford and all the lectures are available for free. It teaches C, C++ and python.

The following page goes with this course.

http://see.stanford.edu/see/courseInfo.aspx?coll=2d712634-2bf1-4b55-9a3a-ca9d470755ee

Advanced Linux programming

Though it's NOT an advanced programming book as the name suggests but this book teaches enough stuff to get you started in writing your own applications in Linux. Books like this help you to get out of the "learning syntax stage" and put you in the "actually using the language stage". Though it doesn't get very deep but I highly recommend it to beginners wishing to improve their C/C++ programming as well as learn some Linux internals.

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Second Edition

What a great book! This update by Rago of Steven's classic book can't be recommended enough. It's a book that'll not only drastically improve your coding abilities by numerous high quality examples but will also help you to understand *nix OS in detail. I'm reading this book right now and will recommend it to everyone.

Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

Another good book. This book will teach you how languages are developed and how to implement a compiler. Reading this book was the first time I understood automata theory.

Use the following page with this book.

http://dragonbook.stanford.edu/

GNU coding standards

Learning to program is good but you do need to follow some structure in your programs and for the disillusioned the GNU coding standards are the perfect place to start.

Networking

Data Communications and Networking by Behrouz A. Forouzan

Excellent explanation and covers some difficult concepts with utmost simplicity.

Edited by Equix3n

3drage

Networking

Cisco IOS Cookbook

The Tao of Network Security Monitoring

Cisco press has a really good beginning routing, but I can't for the life of me remember the exact name of the book and title searches aren't helping me. If I remember when I get home I'll post the name. It equates routing with postal delivery, which is actually a decent metaphor.

Programming

Teach yourself ASP.NET in 21 days

Teach yourself C++ in 21 days

As an aside, I'd highly recommend a safari books online account for anyone considering taking tech classes, a year subscription easily covers 1 semester worth of tech books.

Armando

Great, thank you, keep them coming.

Also make sure that you comment on our latest projects here:

robertray

Networking:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-802/dp/0470110082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297972122&sr=8-1

Todd Lammle's books are pretty good for the CCNA, great materials.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TCP-IP-Illustrated-Vol-Implementation/dp/B0026OR0JM/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297972337&sr=1-7

TCP/IP illustrated.

http://www.sybex.com/WileyCDA/SybexTitle/Network-Study-Guide-Exam-N10-003-4th-Edition.productCd-0782144063.html

I always find the sybex books useful. Network +, A+ and Sec+

Also the suite of books for the MCSA are useful if your wanting to understand various MS technologies.

robertray

What book would anyone recommend as a intro to hacking? I heard somewhere the dummies book was worth a read for introduction level. Anyone read any?

Bluntlee

A beginners guide to ethical hacking was pretty good for $20. Its a pdf about 100+ pages with same code and extra coding and networking tutorials if you buy the extra bonus for $5 more.

link to site

Armando

Great guys,

We have added most of the above in the suggested readings for the student course

robertray

I got a copy of hacking for dummies 4th edition. I forgot to mention this, I have read about 7 chapters and its fairly basic but is a very easy read. Perhaps useful for some who might just want a feeling for concepts and tools to begin with.

I also quite like some of the real life stories that I have read so far. Its also pretty cheap.