Sign in to follow this  
robertray

Well Done - Brett CISSP!

robertray

I know from a tweet from our instructor Brett, that recently he passed the CISSP exam.

I suggested he should share the news on these forums to inspire us budding security learners to keep pushing the boundaries of our knowledge.

So well done I say! I would love to hear more about your experiance of study.

He also informed me he has been very busy working on the new version of the course, so looking forward to the release!

It's good to know that behind the scenes things are in development and enhancements are on the way :-)

3drage

I achieved my CISSP roughly 6 months ago and it was a relief as well as a huge accomplishment for me. Nothing beats getting the "You Passed" email after a month or more of waiting. I'll always remember that day. Congrats to Brett, and for anyone thinking about taking the test, it's a long road to travel but well worth the effort.

robertray

Could you share more details about the cissp exam process and your study methods?

Edit: Also well done!

3drage

Could you share more details about the cissp exam process and your study methods?

I bought both books, the All-In-One and the 2ed Official CBK, read both cover to cover and around that time discovered a wonderful site: http://www.cccure.org/ at the time their practice tests were free (They started charging for them a few months back). I would run the 50 to 100 question practice tests and figure out which domains I was weak on and go back to the books and study more. The process took roughly 7 months.

The important part to taking the test is preparation. A good night's sleep (easier said than done) and a hearty breakfast. I finished the test and reviewed my answers in about 4 hours. I think if I went on any longer, my brain would have been scrambled.

ficti0n

If you are studying for CISSP honestly its a useless exam knowledge wise in my opinion... So i would tell you to quickly read through one of the suggested books and then slam questions all day from cccure.org and any other source you can get your hands on... Honestly once you blast out questions all day and understand how to anwser them from the CISSP perspective the exam is pretty easy... I got my cissp back in 2004 after studying for 6months and I was over prepared like crazy...

So my suggestion is read through one of the exam study books then just take any exam and free question archive that you can!! The cissp is a horrible exam and sooo useless knowlege learning wise but unfortunately HR departments like to hire people based on it... ugggg

robertray

Thanks for the tips. Someone I met at the event I delivered the other night offered me some study materials, I think based on what you are saying I will just self study. Though I need to get this cert done first !

ficti0n

Thanks for the tips. Someone I met at the event I delivered the other night offered me some study materials, I think based on what you are saying I will just self study. Though I need to get this cert done first !

Yea get the CISSP done as soon as possible!!! That way you never have to think about it again!! You will be happy once its behind you because there is nothing really beneficial about its content, its just a good resume buffer for HR.... ;) Once the CISSP is behind you, then you can focus on more fun classes and learning.

Methodikal

Yea get the CISSP done as soon as possible!!! That way you never have to think about it again!! You will be happy once its behind you because there is nothing really beneficial about its content, its just a good resume buffer for HR.... ;) Once the CISSP is behind you, then you can focus on more fun classes and learning.

I started studying for the CISSP right after I got my GSEC, then I realized I badly needed to get more technical :unsure:. So I decided to focus on learning the more technical skills of pen testing, thus, I enrolled in ELS. Hoping to go for OSCP and learn some Python next. If I can get past all that, then I'm planning to study for the CISSP again. My biggest fear was being just a "paper cert" CISSP with no skills.

3drage

CISSP is not really a technical exam, it's more of an IT Security Operational Management overview (At least from my experience with the test). These pen testing courses and CEH are a beast on their own accord. CISSP gives you a broad understanding of many security domains and is geared towards someone who will plan and execute security related projects for long term success.

In other words, real world experience will help you prep for the exam, ethical hacking and pen testing will give you only a small portion of what you need.

CISSP is a mile wide and a foot deep.

3drage

You get out of CISSP what you put into it.

butle49056

If you are studying for CISSP honestly its a useless exam knowledge wise in my opinion... So i would tell you to quickly read through one of the suggested books and then slam questions all day from cccure.org and any other source you can get your hands on... Honestly once you blast out questions all day and understand how to anwser them from the CISSP perspective the exam is pretty easy... I got my cissp back in 2004 after studying for 6months and I was over prepared like crazy...

So my suggestion is read through one of the exam study books then just take any exam and free question archive that you can!! The cissp is a horrible exam and sooo useless knowlege learning wise but unfortunately HR departments like to hire people based on it... ugggg

You hit the nail on the head with your comment. I got the CISSP and I do not really know nothing but the HR departments love the cert. Also, the HR departments are in love with the CEH which I also have and again I know nothing but don't tell HR.