Sign in to follow this  
Armando

[ELS-TUT] Sniffing with Cain n Abel

Armando

This is our first video tutorial produced by the students (matugm) for the students.

We will have frequent video tutorials posted for you on this forum and in our Youtube channel

The video demonstrates a basic but interesting scenario where a machine in a LAN mounts a man in the middle attack through ARP poisoning.

This allows to modify the bindings in the ARP cache of the victim to redirect all the traffic between them to the attacker.

At this point the attacker can simply sniff for passwords.

The whole video deals with Cain n Abel.

Please let me know if you find it interesting and if you can follow the video and understand what's going on even without audio. Thank you and don't forget to subscribe to our channel! :rolleyes: Many thanks go to matugm who accepted my offer to become a stable contributor of eLearnSecurity.

YT_Subscribe_128x128_red.png

• Like 1

robertray

Good job matugm I say.

Easy to follow, works for me even with no sound. Congrats also on being selected for an interesting role at elearn. Hope you do more and enjoy things.

Would like to see some of the same with regards to using cain for wireless. More details in any wireless video with regards to which wireless adapters you would suggest and so on to get it working would also be appreciated.

*edit also subscribed to the channel.

Armando

Honestly, Cain, being on Windows, is not the best to do sniffing in a wireless environment.

I'd use the aircrack-ng toolset and the dsniff to gather passwords under *nix.

As far as ARP poisoning is concerned, I'd go for ettercap or arpsoof.

Also Alfa Networks card 500mW is a wonderful card. Super power and range and practically perfect for aircrack use. Never got a driver problem. Supports monitor mode and injection.

I got it a couple years ago at €50 from Germany on eBay.

Recommended.

Edit: I've given a look on eBay and it seems they are selling a 1W version now. I think it's one of the most, if not the most, powerful cards around, still with a great sensitivity and the possibility for an external antenna.

robertray

Thanks for the tip!

matugm

I don't have alot of experience with wireless but I'm using a RTL8187 wifi usb device also an atheros chipset on the laptop both can inject fine,what I can do is a video on WEP cracking on backtrack but I have some doubts about legal stuff even if I just attacked my own network in the video...

Bluntlee

Nice job on the video,easy to follow and a great visual of a MITM attack. I think videos from the students is a great addition to this course.

Methodikal

Nice video! And THANK YOU for not playing trance music in the background ;-)

ps_2700

matugm, you did a really good job. The video was nicely presented and easy to follow. It would be great if there is a vote for the next tutorial.

Bluntlee

agree... a voting poll or suggestion poll for tutorials would be cool.

matugm

there is already a new one sent to armando a few days ago which should be up soon,it's about msfpayload/msfencode and suggestions are always welcomed

illumina

I don't have alot of experience with wireless but I'm using a RTL8187 wifi usb device also an atheros chipset on the laptop both can inject fine,what I can do is a video on WEP cracking on backtrack but I have some doubts about legal stuff even if I just attacked my own network in the video...

Attacking your own network is completely legal because:

1. You're working entirely with a system that belongs to you - i.e., not touching systems without authorisation

2. The software is legal, free, open source, etc.

3. You'd be demonstrating vulnerabilities and why networks need to be secured, again, a legal move

It's your hardware, your downloaded software - you're free to do whatever you want with it :) I've made video's of this sort of stuff and published it in the Hakin9 magazine a few years back, and I've never had *any* legal trouble from it.

Iain
Edit: I've given a look on eBay and it seems they are selling a 1W version now. I think it's one of the most, if not the most, powerful cards around, still with a great sensitivity and the possibility for an external antenna.

I have this one and can defiantly recommend it, the range is fantastic.

Well done on the video matugm great effort.

Jamie

I have this one and can defiantly recommend it, the range is fantastic.

Well done on the video matugm great effort.

I can also recommend this, excellent range and works perfect with the aircrack suite. :)